Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Surfing, Hiking, Shopping...Oh My!

Well these have definitely been a VERY EXCITING few days here in Cape Town!  So much is happening in such a little time.  The other day we went to a different beach, and they had surfing lessons.  I've never surfed before so I figured I would give it a try.  IT WAS REALLY HARD!  I literally could not get myself to stand up on the board.  Of course, I was the one that got hurt when the board came flying at my head and knocked me.  I'm fine now, but definitely was not feeling great after that!

On the train ride home, we experienced rush hour...it is something I do not want to experience again!  There were SO MANY PEOPLE squeezed into one train car.  When it came to our stop, the group of us were not even able to make it out the door.  We had to ride to the next stop and I PRIED the doors open so we can get off and catch a train back home.  It was insane!

The next day I went to a mall, but this time I took what the South Africans call a "combi".  It is basically a taxi that is a mini van/bus.  This is the way most people get around the country.  They squeeze people like sardines in there, but it is extremely cheap and quick because they are all over.  The mall was nice, and as usual things are very inexpensive!

We went to The University of Western Cape to register, and things are insane.  The registration system is very different from what I am used to at Scranton, so I am still not exactly sure what classes I am taking, where they are, what time they are at, etc.  I'm sure it will work out!

Today we decided to hike Devil's Peak.  I have only hiked a few times before, but this was probably the most strenuous thing I have ever done.  I really thought I was just going to die on the mountain.  However, with encouragement and VERY frequent breaks, I made it up to the top.  It's a good thing because the views are absolutely PRICELESS.

PS- There's a Kenilworth in South Africa!

I have some VERY exciting plans for this weekend, so stay tuned!!

Below I posted a few pictures from the last few days.  However, there are a TON of other photos posted on my Facebook, so go check them out!




No comments:

Post a Comment